What makes a Good Leader??? – Zuri

Task Description

For this task we had to think of 4 different topics on what makes a good leader. In my opinion, what makes a good leader is somebody with confidence, commitment, communication and vision.

This is my writing :))

What makes a Good Leader?

What makes a good leader? “Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality’ , as some people might say or, somebody who can turn somebody’s dream into reality without a magic wand, somebody with confidence, commitment, communication, and most importantly, a vision, that is what makes a good leader.

Confidence
‘When the leader lacks confidence, the followers lose commitment’
What does this mean? If a leader isn’t confident, how will their voice be heard? All leaders that were shown before, how did they come to be leaders? They spoke. They used their voice to their advantage and raised the bar that was set. They didn’t block out the voice that wanted to be heard despite others stopping them, because they didn’t think for themselves, they thought for the people that their voices were too small to be heard. With these leaders, more leaders were then brought to the light but what if these leaders decided to give in to everybody else’s opinions? There would be no change, that is why confidence is an important quality of a leader.

Commitment
‘The only limit to your impact is your imagination and commitment’
Many people might say they’re ‘committed’ when they actually aren’t. Many people take interest in things and say to themselves ‘I will be committed to this’ but slowly lose this commitment, that is why nothing gets done. In my opinion there is a difference between interest and commitment. When you’re interested in something you only do it when it’s convenient. However, when you’re committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results, and that is what a leader should try to achieve. Not only results but great ones.

Communication
‘The art of communication is the language of leadership’
Being able to communicate with others is a big part of being a leader, being not only able to teach but listen to what other people have to say to you is a big part of being a leader because having this type of understanding of others will make them feel open to you, not scared of you, will help them to communicate well with you, that is how you should make somebody feel as a leader, safe. Being able to just communicate with somebody, to help them, you never know what miracles you could be making. You could inspire that person with your words, even if it is just a simple ‘You can do it’ or something uplifting, this person could be inspired and that is the job of a leader. To not only lead to create more followers but to create more leaders of the future.

Vision
‘A great leader’s vision comes from passion. Not position’
Vision in my eyes is the most important part of being a leader. It is like the base of leadership. How do you expect to lead somebody, people, a village, maybe even a nation, without a vision? You can’t. Every leader starts with a vision, ‘who am I?’, ‘Who am I trying to be?’, ‘Who am I leading?’, ‘What is my purpose?’. Without being able to answer these questions, don’t expect to be able to be a good leader, but don’t give up. You might be thinking, ‘Oh well, I’m young, I can’t be a leader’ and in my honest opinion, you’re entirely wrong. If you have a vision, put it to action! It doesn’t matter, age, gender, race, position, if you’re a leader, you’re a leader. It is your time, and to be a good leader you have to believe you can do it! So don’t wait for somebody to tell you to do something because did any of the leaders of today wait? No, so don’t wait for tomorrow, be the leaders of today.

Conclusion
So after this think to yourself, am I a leader? Am I a worthy leader? Am I leading my people with not only respect but pride? Am I going to make a difference? If so, you’re a great leader. Just think, Great leaders don’t set out to be leaders, they set out to make a difference. It’s never about the role, it’s about the goal. What are you aiming for as a leader? In my opinion the role of a leader is not to come up with all the great ideas, it is to create an environment where great ideas are to be made. That is what makes a not good, but a great leader.